Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Another lesson to learn

With my new job I am learning tons of valuable skills everyday to help my patients. As a new grad, and it has been reinforced by the literature, it can be quite overwhelming. Some days I take it in stride and others I take it home.

That is the one thing that I am trying very hard not to do. Believe me it is hard. Especially for someone that strives for perfection in a not so perfect world. I begin to analyze my every move until my head is left spinning. I knew I was in trouble one night when I couldn't sleep and I was having circular dreams of being on the unit. Work is obviously on the brain.

When that night happened, (luckily I wasn't working the next day) I started to look for blogs. I came across this lovely lady right here. All of her lovely lists really hit home. Especially the first one of being patient. I am finding this the most frustrating as I just want to know everything now. Something that isn't plausible. I really do need to just be patient, continue to ask questions, keep calm, carry on!

Continuing on and scrolling down I read the most important one, don't beat myself up. It was like she was talking to me. She knew that that is what I was doing. And with that I decided to take on one of my very first and most important assignments after getting this job. Not taking work home with me.

Many people have already said this to me. I think it's hard for me as the drive is pretty long and I am really just left with thoughts. But I really must must try to make a conscious effort to leave work with work. Shut my mind off, listen to loud music, eat healthy and run hard. I owe it to myself, my partner, and even my coworkers and patients. This is my mental health and it needs to be valued as it not only affects me but those around me!

Wish me luck on my new assignment.

Love

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never trouble trouble till it troubles you

 
Powered by Blogger