Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Home alone in the big city

It was my mom's biggest fear. A fear that I thought was silly and would never happen. To be all alone in New York City and not know what to do. We took steps to prevent this. Of course first we would never be all alone since we were traveling with our partners. We exchanged flight information, told each other the address of the apartment we would be staying and had numbers, iPads, and a meeting point in the airport.

We (Tracey and Mark) were in Toronto when we got the first iPad message. Dad and mom were in Philadelphia. There flight was delayed and they wouldn't be arriving till four pm. Our flight would be in at 345pm. So the logical step was to meet them at their gates. Message sent in return and no reply. So off we boarded heading to New York City.

La Guardia airport and my mind lapses as I realize we are at different terminals. We gather our luggage and head for the ten minute walk to theirs. We wait. Nothing. I call their cell. Nothing. No free wifi there. I pay, turn on my IPad. Nothing. We head back to the Air Canada terminal. No parents there. I continue to call. Send messages. Go back to their terminal, go back to ours. Back and forth, back and forth.

I am now visibly upset. Where are my parents? Why have they not called. Texted. We are tired. Mark suggests that we head to the hotel as that is where he thinks they headed. This appalls me. Not Mark's idea but the suggestion that they wouldn't have waited. More agitated I finally relent and call the owner of the apartment. He says no one has called him. But I am more likely to think what Mark is saying is right. They must be waiting for us outside at the door. In the rain, with their luggage.

Off we go taking our first NYC cab in NYC. At the apartment. No parents. We meet Peter. Nice man. Showed us the place. I tried my best to listen but all I really wanted was the wifi key to turn on my IPad. He showed us the place. Sweet, great space, prime location, amenities all included. Out the door. IPad on. No parents. We text my brother. He hasn't heard. The home alone jokes start. Look in Central Park. Find the lady with the pigeons. I find them mildly amusing but only mildly. Where did they go? They are well versed in traveling, having traveled all their lives.

I go outside thinking they must have grabbed a bite to eat. Negative. Upstairs I go and Mark holding our one sole communicative device, gets a message. 7pm. We are at the airport. Just landed. How much is the cab? Found.

What happened to them. Their flight got cancelled in Philadelphia. Actually rephrase. My dads flight got cancelled. Leaving mom to travel on her own to NYC. She refused as I stated before. It was a fear. And as it turns out her fear was likely to occur. They texted, they emailed. And their IPad failed to deliver the messages. Their pay and talk phone failed to make calls. Basically communication failed them. They took a late flight. One we never knew about and made it.

Once at our apartment we had our hugs, welcomes, told our exasperated stories and the real fun began. First stop pizza slices on restaurant row. The rest of the vacation was smooth sailing and lovely. All one really could ask for.

But for once. Just once. I would like a smooth arrival for everyone in my family. Just once!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing race it was not! I was so glad to see you guys too but very mad at my I pad.
Mama

 
Powered by Blogger