Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Mr J.

There are days where I encounter ordinary people that I find extraordinary. 

One of these was Mr. J. I met Mr. J awhile ago. He was a older gentlemen with a tremor in his hands. On my first day with him, he laid in his bed as I took his vitals. I asked my questions and he replied in a shaky/slurred voice. I looked at him puzzled as I couldn't understand what he said. I asked again. And he replied again. 

Still unable to understand, I felt embarassed as I didn't want to intentionally make someone feel bad. Just as I was about to say that I wasn't making out his words I heard him clear as day, "Sorry, I don't speak very well." It just clicked. If I listened hard enough I could hear him. 

Immediately I dismissed the apology and redirected the focus. "We are going to figure things out together, if you can be patient with me". Agreement was made and ahead we went. 

I had him for a long stretch of shifts. I figured out his needs and realized although there were many things that he needed help with, it didn't feel like it. He required assistance feeding, transferring, going to the bathroom. But he was so eager to practice his independence that it felt like less. I was in awe of how empowered he was. 

I never had to be that person to hound him to do things. He would practice his exercises in his free time, doing his leg movements at the edge of his bed. He would do his hand stretches and feed himself to the best of his ability. On the contrary sometimes I had to set restrictions when I felt he was pushing it too far and his safety may be at risk, like a fall out of bed, or out of a chair. 

He may have looked really sick to many. But his enthusiasm and optimism made you feel that he was a-okay.  I told him one evening that I found his attitude infectious and so positive. He said "there are worse things that could have happened to him. And worse things happening to others. He is fine and happy to be alive." 

Moments like that make me grateful for the opportunity I have. People who put a smile on my face and put me in my place when I have those self loathing days. So thank you Mr. J. I am still thinking of you with enjoyment. Hope you are doing well!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful my love, mark

Unknown said...

This is very nice.....

Da'

Anonymous said...

Wow you are a wonderful nurse! Mama

 
Powered by Blogger