Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Beautiful Berg Lake

A wonderful hike that I had on my bucket list is complete. Mark did it last year before our wedding and I remember feeling a tinge of jealousy as I had really wanted to do it. Well it came for me this weekend!

I was lucky enough to have some time off so we packed the car for an undetermined destination. Mark checked online the night before and it looked like the majority of hikes that we wanted were booked up (Berg Lake included). We got to Mt Robson and on a whim decided to check out if there were any cancellations. There weren't but they had spots reserved for walk ons! Yippee!

Camped in Mt Robson one night. Had a hot dog roast, drank a bit and snacked on sweets, saw critters. Loveliness.



The next day we were off. Not before my hiking boots started to fall apart. Luckily they could make one more round, but I think they have found their end on this trip. Any who, we saw gorgeous lakes. A stop at McKinney for a washroom break and under the shelter at Whitehorn for coldmeat sandwhiches. The only thing that annoyed me was the massive amount of bugs that seemed to be only attracted to us. Horseflies, deer flies and mosquitoes. Yuck! 






 
Once we left Whitehorn we made the ascent up to Emperor falls. Probably the hardest but there was a beautiful reward up top. Reason? Did I mention that it was 28 degrees and it was hot hot. At the top was an unbelievable waterfall. No bugs. And an amazing cold spray. Mark and I would just stand as close as we could and get sprayed (drenched) when the wind hit the fall in the right way. It was by far the biggest highlight I have ever had on a hike. Everything for me in that moment was perfect.



Next we trekked up to our campsite named after the waterfall, Emperor falls. We had a nice site with a bench and table. Right by the lake. We ate, played cards and read.


The next morning was a short trek to Berg lake where we had the view of the multiple glaciers. Took a day hike to Robson pass, and tobbaggon falls. Had a bit of a nap and played multiple games of crib where there was an undeniable winner. But she is ever so gracious and doesn't like to gloat. He he. Talked with quite a few hikers in the heated shelter (lovely when it started to rain).





We were potentially going to stay another night but because we aren't really the day hiker kind of people and it was a little rainy we took the 22km trip down. Left at 8 and got to the bottom at 3. Not going to lie. The last three km I was not in a happy place and contemplated the possibility of getting helicoptered out. A little ridiculous I know but the feet and hips were feeling quite a powerful burn. Good thing I have a good partner to cheer me on and keep me happy. When we saw the end I may have tempted a foot race but clearly Mark was the winner as I had nothing.


Then home again. Not before a stop in Jasper for famosa pizza. Yum. 

Fun times. 

Love

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow great pictures! Loved that waterfall. It looks like you had fun. Mama

 
Powered by Blogger