Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Counting my blessings

So lately my life has been kind of absorbed. Self absorbed really. With sleep. How to get it. How to help a little one achieve it. How to survive on the little I get. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

It started to become an obsession really. A boring obsession. But it was all I could think about. Talk about. All I craved. All I wanted. Something I never thought I would get again. 

Then I went to a moms group and the optometrist speaking talked of these newborn triplets born with retinoblastoma. 

I looked it up that evening and found the families personal blog. Reading page by page all I could think of was how truly lucky I am. Newborn triplets trekking to Toronto and back every two weeks. I thought having one healthy baby was hard. Ha. 

I was in awe as I read what they had to say and what they went through. It was quite extraordinary. It clicked my brain out of my self centred thoughts. 

To think of the pain and anguish that others went through and to remain upbeat and positive. To watch this family have a wonderful community come to their aid as they moved forward in a proactive manner. To have an older child taken in by family during the visits to another province to receive medical care. People helping people. People thinking of others. Makes me feel happy. 

Then the fires in Fort McMurray happened. This has been on my mind ever since the news broke out about it. Social media blasting pictures. Headlining news. On the radio. 

And my thoughts have just been wandering. I'm so sad that others have lost their homes, their belongings, prized possessions. I can't even nor want to imagine what they feel. It's too heart wrenching. I'm so sad that an entire city, a community has been evacuated. Upset that with this devastation that people (very few) go straight to finger pointing and blaming of the cause using disgusting words and name calling instead of articulating their point. 

But with sadness and disgust comes awe at this amazing province. Red Cross donations. Emergency relief donations. People giving up their homes. Taking in animals. Businesses giving free meals, free coffee, hotel stays, vet visits and board. Free activities for children in malls. Volunteers galore. People driving up north with gas to fill up cars. Having so far no fire related casualties. Having friends go up north to offer aid. 

It makes me proud. Grateful that I am surrounded by people that want to take care of people. Happy to live where I live. Thankful that my family, friends, loved ones are safe and sound. 

Makes little sleep feel insignificant. To think of others and to redirect my energy to those that need it. To my little one that needs it. Sleep will come. And has in fact come presently. 

The obsession dies. 

Love

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger