Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Saturday, January 25, 2014

What it's like to be a nurse

After almost a year of working I am starting to formulate what I feel it's like to be a nurse and what it's like to work with others

Nurses are kind to each other and to others.

For a profession that the majority tends to be women I feel we break the stigma associated with females working with females. We work together. We look to solve problems. We focus on communicating our patients needs to the appropriate disciplines. And most importantly we are there for each other so we can be there for our patients.

Nurses break the stigma of the traditional nurse
Let's not exclude our male counterparts in nursing who are great as well. Like any profession I welcome equality and love the different perspectives each individual can bring. I like a lot of people I work with. Frankly a huge lot of them are amazing. Each have their own way of doing things, have their own personality and their own set of skills and knowledge. Yet we all hold similar values in caring for our patient, even if it looks a bit different in each other's eyes.
Nurses are there for you
When things look bad and frankly overwhelming, I call on my fellow coworkers for help. And guess what. They come willingly, offering anything and everything they can.
Sometimes things don't look well for patients. They take a decline in health. I press a button and people come running. It's miraculous to watch a collective, coming together to help you, and more importantly that one person in the bedside that needs all of our help. It's so fluid to watch. Some may say its fast and adrenaline pumping. I see it in slow motion, so fluid, almost dance like, as one documents, another does vitals, another takes orders, another administers. It's amazing.
I know of one in particular who helped me so much this week. She worked at the desk. A charge nurse. But she didn't stay at the desk. She was a true team player manning the floor when she was needed and able. A true and remarkable leader who cared about her coworkers and the patients. I am always amazed when I see people like her. True leaders who probably could move up the ladder quite easily, but selfishly I want them by my side.
Nurses are great to talk to you

They are by your side and on your side. I have cried with patients. Supported them by being their cheerleaders. I have listened and empathized. And I felt I ultimately care and want everyone to get better.

And guess what. I have done the same with my coworkers, and they for me. One nurse went into a patients rooms and found her declining quite bad. Once recovered, she then said, "what if I hadn't gone in there to help her, would she have died?" I told her, that is the wrong statement, "it's that you went in there and she lived". So often we beat each other up for the potential of what coulda, shoulda, woulda. Instead of looking at the what we had done, did and will do for them (my husband taught me that one).

There have been many days I have bottled up my feelings and cried all the way home, reaching my husband at that point I am almost inconsolable. It's not pretty. But these last two months, I have started to talk to my nursing coworkers. And guess what. They have been not only amazing in their support for me, but showed me what it is truly like to be part of a team. They have encouraged me, offered hugs, and offered opportunities in reflection. I don't think I could do the work I do without them.

Nurses aren't the only ones that are amazing.

When in the hospital you encounter a variety of different titles. Physicians, OTs, PTs, RTs, speech pathologists, pharmacists, lab techs, diagnostics, food services, dietitians, social workers, etc. I work with them and without them we would be rendered useless. But I work closely with my partner usually liscnsed practical nurse and on occasion an RN, who I have talked about already. But two very important roles that I really don't think it gets enough recognition but deserves are these.

First, The health care aide. They, too, talk to our patients, help bathe them, reposition them, help feed them if we are busy with the medical aspect. They help us with the extra tlc that is needed like a warm blanket, new water. But more importantly they care. Sometimes they see things when our eyes are on others. They are so important and so needed in our team. We would be so horribly overwhelmed without them.

Second the unit clerk. The people with the answers. They process our stat orders, call our codes, ring up the numbers by memory in an emergency, make sure our patients get to their tests, get discharged properly, get admitted properly, have the correct diets and really so much more. They have so much knowledge it's incredible. I couldn't figure where a persons ahs card could be when they got admitted and one unit clerk had it figured out in mere seconds. 

So ultimately I think I have learned how important it is to be part of a team in nursing. People thrive when we all work together. And we thrive when we work together. Teamwork should be encouraged and fostered. Never take it for granted and do anything and everything to keep that team functioning in a positive way. It's worth it.

Love

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger