Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Thursday, December 05, 2013

The fantastic, the bad and the ugly.

Let's get honest and real in this post. I had a bit of a trying week. And of all things it was a week off so what oh what is my problem. Honestly!

Well let's start off with the bad. 
I decided through some encouragement to throw a birthday party for myself. 
Bought all the food, prepared and laid it out, cleaned the house and because of the Christmas Twinkie in me decorated the house. 
Fourteen people were suppose to attend at eight pm. 
Then the calls came. And people started to cancel. 
And you know what? Everyone had a reasonable reason that they couldn't come. Sick children, just having a child and working late and then working early. 
no one could really blame them for not attending. 
But I may have had a silent pity party. Or was it silent? Ask Mark. 

Eight came. And then eight fifteen, eight thirty. 
I sat glumly on the couch and said to a very tired Mark who had a very long day, "I don't think anyone is coming". Tears may have rimmed my eyes. 
Mark grabbed his phone frantically texted my friends and figuring out their status. 
Eight forty, four of my wonderful friends came. Anita, Fraser, Ellen, and Jeff. 
They smiled and hugged me and sat around our kitchen table. 
Eating all the prepared food. 
Talking, debating, laughing, joking. 
And staying up till 1:30 am! 
Great company overall and so thrilled that four great people were able to come!

Then the ugly came. 
Mark called me at home two days prior to my actual birthday. 
He had to work a Christmas concert. 
I thought he may have been joking. 
He wasn't. 
Then he started to make plans of what to do. Rescheduling my day, inviting others to come, etc. 
I didn't want anything. 
He insisted. 
I got mad. 
Then he got mad. 
We were both mad. 
Lol. Sigh. A little known fact about me. I hate surprises. Ask my mom. I hate plans made re. me behind my back. I am just a plain old brat about it. Simple as that. Again ask my mom. 
After a breather there was resolution. 
And Mark may have been right (cough cough) that one shouldn't spend their birthday alone (Wow I can be stubborn and a tad dramatic. He he). 

Finally the fantastic. Because one should forget the bad and the ugly and concentrate on the full greatness, happiness, and the positive aspects of life. 
Seriously 

Mark had planned and made a birthday "lupper" for my family and I on Sunday. 
Wendy, David, Jimi and Cassie came by. 
We had gourmet French toast, bacon, orange juice, fruit and birthday cake and cinnamon buns for dessert. 
We chatted in the sitting room. 
I opened presents. 
It was lovely. 

I caught a movie, my choice on Saturday. 
Had movie popcorn and went to the fancy theatre. 
Fancy cupcakes with an I love you message another day. 

Got to spend a wonderful day with a little two year old at the world water park. 
Swimming. 
Then I got to laugh at her two year old self as she tormented my poor cat. 
Ran around the house rearranging all our things. 
And creating mischief climbing out of her crib, not napping, and watering the floor instead of the plants. 

Then lucky me. On my birthday got to spend the morning with the two year old's mom, Jeaninne and her week and a half year old sister. 
So sweet. 
Hot chocolate, doughnuts, baby cuddles, laughing at some funny memories and making new ones. 
It didn't end. 
Text messages, deliveries, emails, facebook messages, video messages and calls times three from my lovely parents. 
And Anita came. 
Took me out to a very awesome restaurant called rge road. 
And I continued to laugh, chat, and just hang out with one fantastic gal. 
Then my poor Mark, who worked a very long day waited up for us to come home. 
And presented me with a fabulous present. 
A bike that I have been wanting so badly but kept convincing myself that I don't need it. 



I know I am a spoiled brat. And I am supremely lucky to have a person in my life that puts up with my crap every now and then. And reassures me that things are okay. Concentrate on the positive and not to give up. Who likes my nuttiness and my birthday week even if he pretends not too. 

And to friends and family that laugh at my dramatic tales causing me to laugh about it and to give me a bit of perspective (but are smart enough to wait to tell me this, after I have calmed down). 

I am very lucky, grateful and yes I had a fantastic birthday (week). 

Love

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh Tracey "........oh Tracey You really do crack me up but in a loveable sort of way. You came into the world the same way. You wouldn't sleep for six weeks. Mom said you wanted everyone to know you were here, and you didn't want to miss anything. Well we all know you are here and we are so very grateful you are! Love ya mama

The Hope Lady said...

It is a good thing that you were born before Christmas. Your poor long-suffering husband hardly ever had a decent birthday party. The people who love him were already sick of celebrating by the time we got to December 30. When he was little we tried to compensate by having a six-month birthday. But somehow we kept forgetting it. It's a wonder he turned out as well as he did with neglectful parents like us.

 
Powered by Blogger