Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Imperfection

I think that sometimes in the most imperfect times one can really get a glimpse of perfection. My life can be a little messy and as organized as I try, right now it is slightly adventurous and disorganized. That being said, I have seen amazing strengths and bonds during these messy times.


Two of theses strengths are pretty special.

My Brother:
My brother had a slight mishap on Sunday. And by slight I mean bad. I am not the greatest with X-rays but even I can read his. He got into a hockey mishap and slammed into the boards resulting in a spiral fracture of both long bones in his right calf. Asking about spiral? Think about twisting a lid on a jar but that lid is my brothers bones. And these bones are not meant to twist so they break. Ouch.

So I walk into the ER see my poor little brother on the stretcher and just feel horrible. He has been through this before breaking his back 12 years earlier. How much can this one guy take. But what I saw was amazing strength. He did not weep or give himself a pity party (I can't see this writer doing the same). He took his pain meds, he listened to the doctor and just took everything a step at a time. Once the pain was under semi control I even saw him tell a few jokes and laugh a little.

I hate seeing my brother vulnerable, probably just as much as he felt. But it just reinforced that I would do a lot for that pesky guy. The one that used to interrupt me when I was playing with my friends, bug me with games of copycat and beat me up a little when I could no longer beat him up. He is awesome. He has such a warm spirit, with so much love to give that you really can't help but give back to him.

And I got to see someone else in an extraordinary light as well:
My Husband:
I am slightly biased, I know. He he. I knew he was great taking care of me when I am sick but I saw a really cool bond between him and my bro. As soon as I called him to tell him about my brother, he was right over at the hospital. He jumped right in to make Jim comfortable, take off the skate on his left foot, and make sure the doctor was covering all the bases with X-rays. When the leg needed to get set and my brother was put under, they shooed all of out of the room but my husband settled into the back with no intention of leaving Jimi's side until it was absolutely necessary. Even discharged, He was helping him get dressed and making sure his computer gear was organized so that Jimi could access all the things he needed.

What can I say. I am a lucky lucky girl to have two incredible men in my life. I know the next few months are going to be tough on you Jimi. But know I love you. You are a hard worker and you are a strong person inside and out. And although there may be times you will be sick and tired of being housebound just know you can call on us. I will listen. And you know that you have a good friend in Mark. I don't know what happened in Vegas, but I like it. You guys have an amazing bond and I know Mark would do anything in his power to help you.


Crumby things happen. Downright horrible. And although I always prefer for nothing bad to happen at all, if it didn't I would not be able to see the strength in the human spirit of people who contribute so much to my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left out the best part: Jimmy 'waking up' from conscious, full body anasthetia saying "diablo" and numerous other hysterical things. Later, when he came out of the xray room the nurse said to us that Jimmy "was alot of fun". He had found out her favourite song and then proceeded to sing to her as she xrayed his leg. Your awesome Jimmy.
Mark

Jimmy "The LionRock" Robertson said...

Thats so awesome I feel so good to have both of you. I enjoy the hospital good laughs and great experinces with tubes in weird areas, somepeople wake up the next day beside someone and wonder what happened, I wake up from surgery and wonder what happened hahah :)

God bless you too so much hope to see you soon ! I very much enjoy your company !

Al said...

Well written Tracey.
And Thankyou....thanks for being there; thanks for keeping us updated in this latest family emergency; thanks insuring Jim is settled and well cared for, and thanks for sharing Mark, (who has once again demonstrated his excellent sense for knowing the needs of people who cannot fend for themselves).
Many times girl, your the glue that binds us. NOW.....take care of yourself. Slam those exams.....

With Love
Da'

 
Powered by Blogger