Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Monday, September 03, 2012

to you with love

i know i have been so concentrated on our honeymoon that i really never put into focus what got us there in the first place. our wedding and the day we officially got married. so in honour of that wonderful day, i thought i would put some very important words up here that we wrote to one another. he he remember this. i actually did write (and re-write, and re-write again) a speech that day and within the following weeks, about my now husband.

here it is:

I am not one for speeches or public speaking for that matter (ask a few of my nursing buddies that are present). So I thought the easiest way to write a speech was in the form of a letter. Obviously a public letter but it’s addressed to mark. So here we go:

Dear Mark,

We have reached another milestone in our 5 years in counting together. Although we have always sworn to each other that we would be partners for life and all that it brings we have made it official with government documents and all! Plus there is that added perk of making our families very happy!

Because of this happy occasion I thought I would look back at some special memories that I have of you and what got me to this point of speaking publicly.

I first met you when we were volunteering at the mustard seed. I have to admit, I thought you pretty cute. I remember very distinctly Casey CONSTANTLY pestering me to ask you out. But I was shy, and knew nothing about you. Then one fateful day I gave you a ride home and asked you why you decided to volunteer. Your response was that people had done a lot for you when you needed help, and you felt it was your time to give back. Well you sure knew how to hook me. I think at that moment I was yours. You have such a big heart that has an even bigger capacity to care, love and always think of others in need. This never ceases to amaze me.

That first year there were many moments that you “entranced” me. One involved a special gentlemen by the name of Hieu. He bared witness to our new relationship as we had been going out just under 3 months and happened to be sitting next to him at a hockey game, much to my dismay. Hieu began the grilling with endless questions to you and you passed valiantly. Probably you both having a passion for hockey helped! I must say that I was equally impressed at both of yours and his ability to accept one another, as you are both tricky men to impress.

With the many years that have passed you still amaze me. I discovered the passion you feel with everything around you. Mark you tackle life with such fervor. You refuse to look at things in black and white and always see the gray in everything you do. This is something that always makes Jeaninne laugh as she says; “It must be hard being Mark sometimes.” Maybe this is true, but your ability to think beyond the rules and structure makes things exciting, challenges me and others to look at the world differently, and I think it is what makes you an exceptional in your work and family life.

You have provided me with endless support and fabulous pep talks. As well as cupcakes, lots of cupcakes. Thanks for those, as they have come at the perfect time during school when I have just reached my peak in stress. And just a heads up, those cupcakes and talks may need to continue. I am starting my career in January. It’s not going to be pretty! I am glad now that we are now married so you really can’t escape me.

I have had so much fun these last five years. You are the one person that can make me laugh harder than I have ever laughed before. Your spontaneity has lead us to having pillow fights in hotels, snowball fights in the kitchen and dancing under the night sky. I love your ability to seek joy and be happy. I can’t wait to see what other trouble and adventures we will get into in the future.

Lastly I just want to say that I have never been more proud of you than this year watching you achieve your dream of being a teacher. Sometimes it was tough but you worked so hard to be a good teacher to your kids. I think that they are lucky to have someone that invests in them the way you do.

That’s it. That’s all I have to say. Except I love you,
Tracey


and his to me:

You know, its funny how having to write a speech like this can get you thinking. There I was lying in bed last night, all ready to start writing my speech, when I realized that there was a million reasons to toast Tracey this evening. I just had to figure out which things I shouldn't say and then I could go from there. I also figured that a list of adjectives just wouldn't do as not everyone here knows Tracey as well as I do, so I though some examples might help.

Tracey is smart and kind. For example, when I run into a problem that I view as insurmountable and am feeling pissed off at the world about it, she often solves it and then waits to gloat until after I am feeling better. 

She cares about others. This example was tough to pick because I had such a large number of options to choose from. The most meaningful example for everyone here tonight was that she wanted to reduce the number of speeches about how wonderful we are so that everyone could get to having fun.

She's a terrific organizer. Now this one was easy, she was already preacticing her toast before I had even started writing mine.

Tracey is fun. When Tracey and I became an item people would always be asking us what we were laughing at. After the first couple of explanations I realized that it wasn't what we were laughing at that was so funny as no one else laughed. It was that Tracey and I were involved in it that made it funny.

Tracey is fun. Okay I already said it but this one deserves a few more examples. I have been in more water fights in the last 5 years since I met Tracey then the 27 years before meeting Tracey. Once when Tracey was in the shower, I pretended to leave the bathroom and absentmindedly shut off the light on the way out, as I often do. Only this time I didn't actually leave the bathroom. I sat there in the dark and waited for 30 seconds for her to stop calling me to come back. Just as she was about to get out of the shower and turn the light on herself. I whipped open the shower curtain with my left hand. Turned on my blindingly bright headlamp with my right and yelled. I would have killed someone that did that to me, but Tracey was laughing about it in under 10 seconds and even complimented me on it later.

Tracey is forgiving. No new examples needed for that one. 

Tracey is wise beyond her years. My mother once told me that everyone should have someone they love stand up in front of a big group of people and say good things about them at least once in their life. She had a lot of reasons for saying that and I thought it was a pretty wise thing to say. To my knowledge she never told that to Tracey. Yet when we were planning this wedding Tracey thought we should give the toast to each other for many of the same reasons.

Tracey, you are smart, you are kind, you care about others, your a terrific organizer, your fun, your forgiving and you are wise. I love you.



we both are pretty lucky!
love

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger