Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Sunday, June 26, 2016

White Wonder aka Kitty

When tomorrow starts without me
Don't think we're far apart
For every time you think of me
I'm right here inside your heart
Margi Harrell


I first met Kitty in January 2007. I saw him in a flash as I was picking up the bachelor. White cat with bright blue eyes. He was shy and quickly retreated to his room (what later became my office). I had never been a cat person. Truthfully I just never got them. Cats in general seemed to show a certain aloffness that I didn't fancy. Little did I know that in that instant me and Kitty would be taking a long journey together.



It was a wonderful relationship that the bachelor had with his pet. I listened to the stories that both Kitty and the bachelor shared. Hockey with bottle caps, where Kitty could retrieve them in his mouth. Kitty reminding the bachelor when it was mealtime for both. Kitty kept a tight ship of fun and work that they both seemed to enjoy.




Then I came along with my loud, squeaky, dancing self. Kitty and I didn't really see eye to eye in the beginning. But I came up with a plan...I love animals. I love holidays. In fact the two should go hand and hand. HA HA. One of the first fights I had with the (now) boyfriend involved dressing up Kitty in holiday garb. I am pretty sure there was a holiday collar involved and there was definitely bells. The boyfriend (and Kitty) would not be degraded in such a way. Imagine dressing up a cat. Who is this woman coming into our home? ha ha.



A snowball fight occurred on another day. I greeted the boyfriend with snow in the face one winter afternoon. Snowballs quickly made and thrown in the house. Screeches coming from my direction as snow managed to go down my shirt, water dripping from my face. Retaliation was on my mind but Kitty would not have his best buddy be attacked in such a way. That was the fateful day that Kitty bit me. Blood even rolled down my leg. I jested, "how dare he bite me" but couldn't help smile that he was so protective of the people he loved. Not aloof at all.


I was now the girlfriend in the boyfriend's life and I chose to live with both Kitty and man. That was when we both started to adapt to our new life together. Kitty indeed had to compromise. I took his spot in bed and possibly some cuddles. A diet was strictly enforced (as per vets orders). At times I would see him shoot off to his scratching post taking out some frustrations.


Then the games would ensue. We would all take turns hiding behind the couch and creeping around, "psyching" each other out. Bat the ball back and forth. Zig zag across the carpet with feathers. Play with bags on the ground. Slide ice on the floor. Sometimes a scratch would result but it was all in good fun. He was a garden cat (you had to be with the boyfriend) and he loved it. Kitty would smell the flowers leaving a trace of pollen on his face, or munch on the bit of cat grass that was planted for him.


Kitty became accustomed to my early morning wakings. So much so that if I decided to sleep in on a Saturday or Sunday he would come into the room at 6am and remind me that he is in need of food (as it was me that had enforced the diet...or what he thought as it came when I came). He would meow in my ears at first. Rubbing his face on mine. Purring persistently. I would roll on to my stomach so he couldn't bug me and he would hop onto my back and meow straight into my ear. I would try to buck him off but he would brace himself onto my back so that there was no losing him. Little doubt that of course he got fed.


There were times though that Kitty felt the need to take a little vacation. He would take a little jaunt out in the alleyway of our apartment or to the park out in the back. I swear he would watch as we all scrambled to find him, calling his name. And it wasn't just me and the boyfriend. The brothers, the mom and dad, friends have all been seen out in the alleyway calling Kitty's name. Not one summer would go by when we lived in that apartment where we would not be looking for Kitty. Always finding him in both exasperation and relief. Because in the end we all loved Kitty. And Kitty loved us.


His cuddles were the best. Most of them were reserved for his buddy, and his friend, my boyfriend which later became my husband. Kitty would hop on his lap while he was on the computer and just snuggle getting pets and warmth. He loved being petted right at his shoulder blades or right under his neck at the collarbone. Sweet deep purrs of gratitude would be returned when you gave him just the right amount of love.



It was a special bond they both had and I the opportunity to see and participate. They lived a lot of life together. 16 years in fact! They had seen people come in and out of their lives. Some stayed, others didn't. Some moved in and stayed for the long haul (me). And those some brought in more family (me again and welcome Bentley). And more family again (little babe).


Kitty saw a lot of changes and managed to adapt to each one with the Kitty ease that made us love him all the more. He moved to many places finally settling in on our last home. With that he enjoyed many views out the window, many rooms to hide, many plays along the banisters swatting our hands, many things to scratch (ahem the rugs...and the scratching posts) and many places to go out in the yard and remain safe.


He was an incredible cat. He was our Kitty although like his name he was quite a wonder. We loved him and we will sorely miss him.

Thanks for all that you gave us little guy. Rest easy now.
XOXOX

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger