Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Sleep Training Day 27

So what has happened since that late night of 12, 2, 4 am! ugh. The thought of it still makes me sleepy!! ha ha. I have stuck to your nap times when I do you nap. Not necessarily long...sometimes an hour, sometimes 45 minutes but more often 30 minutes. But you do nap.

And you seem to cry right before nap time as if to tell me...yes it's time (or maybe, it's getting late?!) ha ha. Regardless you show you need it. And you get them. More often three times, sometimes two (believe me, when you drop that third I will be so happy as that is the hardest one to get).

The biggest thing I noticed was putting you to sleep an hour and half earlier than we usually do. 6pm in fact. And guess what?! You usually fall asleep in 5-10 minutes and stay asleep. I've had to move up dinner for you and you have a longer bath time (usually with your dad) so you can do a bit of extra play before bed, but you are a goner at 6.

Now the tricky part. Do you wake up every two hours or no? For the week I started you got up twice at 2 am, then put yourself to sleep. I would feed you when you woke up first in the night between 9-11 and then I wouldn't go back to your room till about 4-6am pending time. But usually you slept so you got it. No waking at 7, or 8, or 9....and then no waking at 12, 2, 4. SAY WHAT! Who knew?

So where are we in the sleep? Twice a night max which I can totally handle. You get up once in the late night 10-12 and once in the early morning 4-6. Or the odd 2am then 6am. OR MY FAV the just 4am!

You still do the occasional cry it out and unless you are overtired, it lasts less than your mobile (and I have timed that its 15minutes). I don't go in as really I now think I just peeve you off when I'm there to just settle you.

So what have I learned? You know what, I think I can read you a bit better. I understand sleep a bit better from that book. I've noticed you settle in more to a regulated pattern that you have never shown before so that's cool too. AND I know things will change. Naps will get dropped, you will slowly be awake more in the day, naps (rumour has it but I won't believe till I see it) will get longer, and guess what nursing will eventually cease to exist in the night (that is the one I'm dreading as sleeplessness although probably for a short time will come again).

Regardless I feel good about everything. I think all of us in this family of three have done a good job. Until the next sleepless night....(let's hope it comes later rather than sooner).

Oh and that book I read (which many in my mom's group have apparently used as well..with similar success) Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth.

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger