Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Zombie Invasion

So my husband texted me the other day and told me about a zombie 5km this Saturday. Weird. My husband although in probably the most incredible shape I have ever seen him in, really dislikes running. I should know. 7 years trying to get him to run, I have been successful only twice. What's a girl to think?

Well a girl must go home to get the explanation. Eager to give the rundown, he explained, "it's a zombie invasion, Tracey. You get flags and zombies run after you and take them, symbolic of your life. You can either finish the race as 'dead' or alive."

So, my first initial reaction was probably shock. This, in all honesty is one of my worst fears. I mean running and having people jump out at me screaming. Seriously? It sounded like a recreation of the haunted corn maze where I spent a half an hour shrieking my head off. Plus people that look like zombies kind of freak me out. 

But then my partner looked so excited and his excitement rubbed off on me. I told him I was in. I mean how many silly things have I asked him to do over the years and he never fails to show up and have fun. 

He alerted the facebook network and we got two other people to join in on our zombie adventure.  My lovely friend Melissa and her husband John. Both with incredible outlooks. John: "beautiful day to be outside and have fun."  

Now for the honest truth. I am not and have not been in the greatest shape up to this date. The last run I have done was the colour me rad (I think in June?). Yikes. I have been enjoying my leisure work outs of dog walks, occasional hikes, and cruising on my bike. This is slightly a humbling thing for me to admit as there were times I could beat my partner but with his shape where he is and mine where it is he leaves me in the dust. Hopefully in the coming months I can keep up to his pace. 

The race began. All good except in the beginning my belt was too loose and I lost all my flags. Grr. Luckily we had extras so I ran with one for awhile. Managed to escape the zombies. Melissa and I took a bit of a leisurely run/walk...then the intensity occurred. 

Half way mark, the zombies increased. Melissa spotted cookies and a ribbon on the ground. Saying just that. Then my worst fear occurred as a 'zombie' jumped out from hiding behind a car screaming. There may have been louder ones coming from my mouth, as I ran away in terror. 

Continued on and found a few RN zombies. Tried to talk some sense into them (I mean come on, they were me once)! No takers. But dodged them too. Then it happened I died. Someone took my flag about 3/4 in. It was a sad death. I tried to protect Melissa with her two ribbons but some 'zombie children' caught her 100m to the finish. 

Even though we died it was fun. Our husbands were waiting by the finish line for us and also fell victim to the children. Dang it. We all laughed and reenacted our versions of the race. Add soup and muffins supplied by the race and some dogs to cuddle, it was a great day. 


Love

1 comments:

Jimmy "The LionRock" Robertson said...

So awesome! wish I was there ! cant wait for next year ~!

 
Powered by Blogger