Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Saturday, February 27, 2010

a long time to succeed

so i decided (all along) that after my first degree i was going back to school. i went straight to university right out of high school. i really had no clue what i wanted to do (maybe an inkling was felt for healthcare). i first enrolled in the bachelor of science in engineering. my father was an engineer, i enjoyed science and was supported by numerous family and friends. but i just could not see that being my big picture. i ever so slightly (in my very dramatic way) freaked out and my father ended up calling the registrar and getting the info to apply again.
i applied for a bachelor of science degree. i really had no idea what to enroll in (being that the options are endless) so my dad, helping me out registered me in: chemistry, biology, genetics, computing science, calculus, and my required english. needless to say: YUCK!

getting a footing for this whole university experience, i dropped the next semester's computing science and took a psychology course. YES, this is where i needed to be. i fell in love with the scientific intricacies of the brain, classical conditioning, and the art of information processing. my hardcore nerd-dom came flying through. i minored in linguistics with the idea of going into speech pathology. i said all along that that was my intent to my friends and family but the drive really wasn't there. there were exams to take going into grad school and i continued to miss them feeling an impasse of what was really in store for my life. i loved psychology, but could never figure out how to integrate that love into a "lovely" career.

i thought i found my calling in occupational therapy. i worked really hard to get into u of a (four times in fact) and got rejected each time. frustrated with my lack of progress, yet determined i looked at other routes and strategies that could get me where i wanted to go. then it came to me. in the back of my mind i wondered what it would be like to go into nursing. my mother had always told me that i did not have the stomach for it. at the time, i whole heartedly agreed. but as time progressed from graduation to the present my jobs were centered in the healthcare field with a focus on nursing. my stomach seemed able and willing to handle it all. my mother retracted her statements and with her support (plus many other proud family members and friends) i enrolled at both universities in my area. being accepted by both, i felt gleeful and somewhat vindicated to reject the u of a that had dismissed my application 4 times previous.

now here i am in my second year. a thirty year old student, with a little bit of life and education experience, going through the motions again. this time i feel like i really belong. i have my drive and it feels fabulous!

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger