Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Friday, February 14, 2014

Oh canada

I kind of love you. You are a fabulous country. There is so much to do around you. You have wonderful parks. You have fantastic aspects of nature. And you have amazing people. I am sorry I don't say that I appreciate you more often. You really should be thanked more.

Every two years I feel a great pride for you. I see people that belong to your country show acts of kindness, athleticism, pride and joy. Funny thing is this happens on a daily occurrence in our country. And not just in sports. But to see it on a international stage just makes me proud.

I love that we have people that will forfeit their opportunity in a race for the better person. And that person medal. I love that another will come to the aid of another country so that they can finish the race. I love seeing two sisters hold hands while on the podium. And I love that our passports open a beer fridge! And I loved this article as it made me laugh as I felt more pride. Because we can be good and can win at times too. Not always the most important in my eyes but nice!

The Olympics does something for me. I normally don't care about sports. But speedskating, figure skating and yes even hockey is on constant stream in our home. I find my self watching snowboard competitions with fascination and with one eye open I will catch the skeleton and luge. I FaceTime my mother and we watch and comment on the Olympics together. Seeing if we can out do each other with the latest olympic gossip, trivia or unknown fact. 

Oh olympics. I have had such fun times. Calgary 88 my great Aunt Elizabeth came down as we saw Elizabeth Manley skate to silver. I vowed I would be her...for two years. Barcelona, 92, I was tumbling around the basement practicing layouts and back handsprings, perfecting my splits just like Shannon Miller. Lillehammer, 94, I watched my dad quote Jean-Luc Brassard, "I love to fly" in his gold medal win. In Atlanta 96 I was home alone for two weeks (for the first time) as I screamed and laughed to Donovan Bailey winning the gold in the 100 m sprint. So many memories. 

Cut to spending Valentines Day with Mark in 2010 watching Vancouver in a small mountain town at Boston Pizza...eating a heart shaped pizza no less and seeing Alex Bilodeau hug his brother after his gold medal win. His brother, having cerebral palsy, touched my heart about how great this win was for him and his family. And I have great fondness for London 2012 as we honeymooned and watched Jamaica win the 100 m sprint with Usian Bolt. 

Canada and the Olympics you have brought me and my family together. You have made me feel proud. And I kind of love you!

Love

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger