Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Monday, May 12, 2014

Nursing moments

As I finish off my last week of my current job I have found myself sentimental of the moments I had with staff and patients. I know that I am making the right descison. But isn't it funny that when you decide to leave a job and embark on something new, you find yourself looking at the present situation as wonderful and amazing and the new one looks a bit more daunting than you last imagined it?

I talked this over with my family and husband and am told that this is a natural reaction and everything looks brighter and better when there is something new and different in the horizon. 

Regardless I have been thinking of some really positive moments that I have had. That I have loved and enjoyed. And I think that is really where you want to leave things off. 

There were shifts that I have managed to be in patients rooms laughing as they tell wonderful stories, joking with me, pranking me. They became friends with their roommates and would look out for them, discussing their ailments with each other and being each other cheerleaders. And I would cheer them both on, pleased at how people can really make the most of their situation and find a friend in the process. 

Other shifts where goals of care would be switched as medical intervention could know longer help. They would become comfort care and I would be there to hold their hand, wash their skin, control their pain and massage their feet if time permits. Those were fantastic moments. 

Other rotations was with the dream team. They were a collective of nurses that I truly loved and admired and would consider them friends. Usually on an evening shift. We would make plans for cupcakes and treats one day to keep us going to day 6 in our rotation. Or make plans to dye a long term patients hair as she was in need of primping and fauning that you just don't get in a hospital. These were the people that would come to my aid if I needed help with a boost, med, info, or wash. Love love love them. And will miss those the most. I have laughed with them, vented with them, offered words of encouragement as they did for me and just enjoyed them so much. 

Sure there were days where I have gotten hit, sworn at, yelled at. Some days I would go home questioning, feeling despair, or anxiety. Good talks with family would usually help. Then I would talk with myself. I am a person that tends to give power to the negative things said to me and dismiss the positive with little regard of what was said. It is a work in process. As apparently I need to believe it when people say I am good at what I do.....blah blah blah. I still can't say what people have said to me in actual quotations, he he. One day, but it is something that I am starting to believe as I embark on new adventures. 

It has definitely been an adventure. A year of growth. A year of knowledge. And a year that I have pushed myself into situations I could not have imagined being in. 

And it's just the beginning....

Love

1 comments:

The hope lady said...

Jobs always look better when you do not feel trapped in them. Have a great vacation!

 
Powered by Blogger