Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Monday, February 25, 2013

Gramma Edey

To you.
I knew you for six years.
I came to know you,
Love you,
And more importantly like you.

You had opinions.
You had drive.
And what I enjoyed the most:
You had spunk.

You ate snails with me at Christmas time.
You were happy we were not serving green beans.
You disliked green beans.
We requested no green beans for our wedding reception.
And to have music for the church service.
We were happy to do it for you.

You had specific instructions on how to make toast.
This still gives me a chuckle
I remember my husband trying to perfect it.
I don't know if he ever did.
But he tried.
And it was endearing to watch you both.

You told endless stories from your childhood.
Your working life as a nurse.
My husbands childhood.
I enjoyed those stories the best.

We had dinners together.
You always asked me how I was.
How was school.
One time I replied it was horrible.
And to be truthful it was and I was not happy.
You responded:
"I'm sorry I asked."
This produced giggles.
All I really needed was to laugh.

I remember endless times.
On a chair.
Knitting.
Always knitting.
Sometimes our cat would visit.
You would pet him.

I know you were ready to go.
I am happy you got to go on your own terms.
I feel fortunate to have seen you.
To hold your hand and be present.

It was nice to have an honorary grandma for six years
You will be missed.
You will be remembered.
Your memories will live for a long time.

Love

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so well said Tracey. What a wonderful interesting fun lady she was. I know you enjoyed having her in your life.
You both were lucky! Love mama

 
Powered by Blogger