Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Saturday, August 16, 2014

On top of the rock with the sky in reach

So I am skipping ahead of our vacation to our other one as it is fresh in my mind. This one was less luxiorious as we really had to work towards our destination. I know. Why do I do this to myself. Really.

All joking aside, this hike was one I really wanted to do. Since 2009 in fact. Because this was (one of) the ones that got away. Mark and I had originally planned an 8 day hike way back then. But injury forced us to hike 30km out in one day, before we got to this destination. We called a cab from a satellite phone and paid (who knows what) for a hotel, eating freshly delivered pizza in our hotel room (ahh memories). 

What is this hike I talk of. The Skyline in Jasper. It has been on my list since then as I had heard that it was an incredible hike. And guess what. It was. One of the top three I have done in my books. I loved it!

Plus we had the added bonus of another hiker joining our little team. Anita! The girl really loves hiking, since west coast trail.  It was fantastic having her along as she played off us, alternating in sides through out the trip. Seriously, Anita is probably the best travel companion ever. I always enjoy going on trips with her. So laid back, easy going and up for anything. Hopefully it is felt the same. Ha ha. 

We camped in the overflow the night before. Mark went ahead of us and got a site. We got in around 1030 pm (traffic delays in Spruce Grove had us delayed for an hour and half). Through out the night the train passed through our site approx 8 times. Ask Mark, he was up and tired. We grabbed breakfast at a diner and were packed and off from Maligne Lake.


All smiles before leaving the trail head. The beginning was pleasant. Till we started the ascent up top. Man alive I have lost some of my hiking endurance, while Mark has gained it three fold.  Walking the dog has put him in shape.  

 

It was wonderfully warm the whole day and we made it to Little Shovel for lunch. Something. I think we all needed. See below picture to note how we felt 8 km in. Lol. Not even Nutella and shot blocks could kill the feelings of fatigue. 


After lunch and a little snooze we were off again to Snowbowl (6 km away) And what fun we had. Like how Mark convinced me he touched a squirrel and I did it in return (it was a tree in the end). How gullible am I or sugar deprived?



Amazing scenery with the mountains everywhere. So pretty. Who doesn't love a mountain?


And through the little shovel pass on our first day. Altitude 2200m. From there we went to the Snowbowl site. If you all are hikers out there a bit more work looking for water as the creeks were pretty shallow. But found some in the end. 


And at night we stayed up till dark (and p.s. It was kind of cold, I had mitts!) playing crib. Which if you need to know Mark won each game every night. Grrrrrrr. 


The next day our destination was a Curator. Shorter distance 8 km to walk so a bit more time to enjoy the scenery. First bit was amazing valleys with flowers and creeks and the mountains against the bright blue skies. 



Then through the big shovel pass where we enjoyed some yummy lunch of tuna and pita. And down to curator after. That was the kicker. We has to go down 1 km to the site knowing that we would be coming up the same way to the next destination. 



But you know what was waiting for us at curator. A lovely meal of stuffed chicken, broccoli and cheese, salad, roasted potatoes and cake. With iced tea even! There actually is a lodge at this site that day hikers do. They spend the night and day hike out the next day. Apparently you can pay for supper and breakfast even if you aren't staying at the lodge. So worth it. I told Mark he had to stop spoiling me on these home cooked amazing meals as it will become disappointing when it doesn't happen every time!  He he. Or he can just carry it on his back. 



After a lovely breakfast of cheese scones, pancakes, eggs and fruit we hiked up the 1 km and then some. The notch was the pass. Scorching sun and rock face. Hot hot hot. We think it was 32 degrees that day. But serious feelings of euphoria. Because then you could summit the top of many mountain tops. And that to me made this whole trip worth it. It was incredible to be at the top of the mountains. 



And I got really excited about a feature on my camera. Yup the panaramic is back and easier to do then ever!



And you can count on my partner finding snow at the top and throwing at me.


Overall it felt great to be at the top. The descent down was a bit of a trail. We should have stopped for water before the notch as there is no water in sight till about 2 km away from the Tekkara site approx 12 km total. But we survived with a few bits of burnt skin. Once at Tekkara we may have found the creek a bit refreshing and took a dip/swim which was glorious. There we enjoyed our last meal and laughed in giddiness at our over tiredness. 


On the way out which is approx 14 km it is a lot of descent down. You get to be at the top for about 5 km and then decline. That was bit tougher for me and my new hiking boots I am breaking in so I may have taken them off and hiked down in flip flops which was a 1000 times better. 


We made it down and did our fist pump for Anita. Ahh the sweet sound of cars and civilization. He he. 


Lastly we went to Famousa for our celebratory lunch/dinner of pizza and salad. Great overall trip! Highly reccommend to anyone that hikes or has the desire!

Love

An added message that I would like myself to remember in the future. It's a serious note. When Mark and I visited the redwoods this year I had a feeling of smallness. That these magnificent trees have lived so long. Seen so much and survived through it. Questions of wonder and I found a bit of my spiritual side coming out. 
Same for this hike. In a world where you are surrounded by highways and cars on ground, restaurants, bustle and humans everywhere, even in Japser, you seem pretty huge and significant. You look up at where you were just at the top and you can't see a remote human from ground. Up top, you are small insignificant. Everything around you thrives and relishes without your involvement. It's humbling and beautiful. That's what I felt at the end of the hike. I kind of liked it too. 

1 comments:

Jimmy "The LionRock" Robertson said...

I like your last note about smallness , its nice to find places that exist so well without the busyness of "home"

Good job on all the photos! and summary! looks like an amazing hike looking forward to hiking with you guys sometime

 
Powered by Blogger