Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Sunday, June 28, 2015

My Dog Bentley

I really love my dog. So very much. So much that I worry about how I may start to neglect my pup when the little one makes it's entrance in October. So many blogs, people, and even friends say that it will happen. And that just makes me too sad. I'm not aiming to keep up his walks in the first week of November. But I am hoping that we will be able to start them sometime when (or if) I get a handle of things...ha ha ha. And I think I need to cling to that delusion (if it is one) until I come to that realization first hand...so please don't shatter it! :)

In the meantime, I (we) are enjoying our dog time. It has become a habit that we take him to the dog park everyday for an hour. I love the dog park. Especially by the zoo as I find it has it's own unique beauty every season.

This is where Bentley and I will do our hill training. He will chase after squirrels, mice and even a deer has crossed his path. When that happens his natural instincts just take over. But over the last year and even months we have started to see a big change. He still may run away at times but the amount has substantially decreased. And the recall is 90% better than last year. We wonder if it's because we have started to walk together on these walks and he is better behaved. But it could also be that we are the longest he has probably had with one family. We are his people!

Just a few weeks ago I separated from the walk to go to the bathroom and was going to meet Mark and Bents at the car. Mark came up to me at the toilets and said that didn't work because Bentley would just stay smack dab in the middle of our ever extended walk away from each other. Funny guy!

Today we went to pets in the park. Mark has been working diligently on Bentley's retrieval skills. And through the carnival games Bents shone. From bobbing for hot dogs (got them all in less than 5 s flat in the deep tub), to retrieving treats from the sand and puzzle box, he was amazing. He still could use some work on the "kissing department" as we both put treats in our mouths to get him to kiss us (yes we are those people). And he really likes to do his own obstacle courses in nature, not any man made ones offered. But, hey, you have to have your own likes!

It hasn't been huge sailing with Bentley this year. He did have surgery in April. We aren't quite sure what he did but regardless he had a hole right by his left front leg. It got flushed, a drain got put in and stitches were used. Plus I doubled up on reinforcement with dressing supplies so he wouldn't feel the need to pull it out. He was not impressed. He fought the anesthetic x 2, the little gobber. Plus he was doped up for about three days after.
AND he is still horrible when it comes to cutting his nails. Plus I have become additionally traumatized as I hit his quick the last time I was able to cut one of his nails.

Bentley has celebrated one birthday with us making him three years old. Bone for a present plus toys to destroy and treats galore. I look back and am so happy we decided to get him. He has been a wonderful companion to have in our lives. AND I have become a crazy obsessed dog person. Something I swore I would never be. But he is worth becoming one!

Love him!

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger